Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Baked Parmesan Potatoes

My mom made this potato dish while I was growing up ALLL the time...especially when my dad was deployed and she was anti-meat.  It's really easy, hearty, goes with anything, and a crowd pleaser! (It's so easy in fact, that I forgot to take pictures along the way...)  I also love this because all of the ingredients are cheap staples that most typically have on hand. :)


Ingredients:
3-4 Russet baking potatoes
1 stick butter (You may not use all of it, though.)
Grated parmesan cheese (about 1 to 1 1/2 cups)
Salt and Pepper

You will also need a baking dish; I prefer a glass pyrex or ceramic dish for this. It doesn't matter the size. Just the bigger, the more potatoes and cheese. Mine is approx 7 x 11 or so. (It was already in the oven when I measured.)

Steps:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut all of the potatoes into thin rounds-approximately 1/8 inch thick, or thin in this case. :) 
3. Next, slice the stick of butter into thin pats.
4. Layer one layer of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish.
5.On top of the potatoes, dot with butter (3-4 pats) and then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
6. Repeat this until you get to the top of your dish. (Put your butter in different spots each time to ensure that it melts throughout the dish.) Typically it ends up being 4-5 layers.
7. Bake for 1 hr. 10 minutes. :)  (If it starts looking too brown, just lay a sheet of foil on the top.)



*Also, thyme or rosemary would be great additions to the butter, salt, pepper, and cheese in each layer to change it up.

**Sometimes, I use a larger dish and have fewer layers so that there are more crispy pieces.  My husband just stole half of the top layer, so I will be doing that next time...  Heart you, R!

No comments:

Post a Comment