Monday, July 11, 2011

The BEST Pulled-Pork BBQ Sandwich...I promise!!!

In our house, summer = BBQ! One of my hubs favorite dishes is this recipe, and the great part is that it’s so dang easy that it adds to the impressive nature every time!

There are 3 basic steps to my recipe.
Step 1 is the dry rub. You can see my really scientific recipe here.

 I tried my darndest to come up with measurements, but this is usually not my thing.
Dry Rub:
2 Tablespoons table salt
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
½ cup light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon PLUS 1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper



Mix in a bowl.
Divide in half and save half in a jar for another time.


Step 2: You will need your pork and a slow cooker.  Be sure to get a Boston Butt Roast.

Unwrap it and hold it fattier side in your palm.  With your opposite hand, start rubbing your rub into the meat. If this grosses you out, I’m sorry.  It’s the best method I know. Now, put it in your slow cooker (fat side should be up-this bastes the pork while cooking) and continue covering ALL sides of the meat. You want this thing totally covered. Put the lid on your slow cooker bowl and store in the fridge overnight. (PS-these slow cooker liners by Reynolds are GREAT!)

Step 3: In the morning, turn your slow cooker on low all day-about 7-8 hours! I turn it on around 6 am and get home by 5 and it’s just fine, too. 
Now you wait.....




And find a toddler. The conversation will help the time fly by.




(HAHA!!! I have no idea...)

Now, fast forward the day and possible headache (from translating said conversations...)
Step 3: Next, get a plate and use a couple spatulas to remove the meat from the slow cooker. Drain the fat from the bowl.  Return meat to slow cooker and shred it with two forks. You will start noticing the crusty bits from your rub! YUMMM!!

Once it’s all shredded, add your favorite BBQ sauce and mix . We don’t like ours too goopy, but feel free to add as much as you’d like. I’d like to make my own sauce sometime, but haven’t gotten there yet. We are big fans of Cattleman’s brand BBQ sauce.

I love to serve the BBQ on potato sandwich buns that have been toasted.
And a swipe of butter never hurts.
Now, pile on high and laugh with giddiness as you take your first bite!



Also, cool and crisp coleslaw is a great accompaniment. And oven fried potato wedges courtesy of Ina Garten.
YUM! Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE bbq AND there's a pork butt in my fridge that needs to be cooked! Perfect! Thanks, Katie!

    ReplyDelete