Friday, July 15, 2011

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Back when I started making my own laundry detergent in the fall, I started brainstorming other ideas. Recently, my sister-in-law told me about a recipe for dishwasher detergent that she had just tried and loved! (She's super awesome and quite crafty herself. She makes her own soap, too. I can't wait to try it one day! I'll be sure to tell you all about it!)

Today, I whipped (well, mixed) up a batch of my own dish detergent...in less than 2 minutes. Seriously!

Here's what you need:
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup salt (***Please note I changed this from 1/4 cup after a little research.***)

That's it! Pour it in a container and shake to mix (do be sure there aren't any lumps). This can easily be doubled or tripled depending on how big your container is.

 
I added the recipe to the top of my container so I would remember.

Now, just pour the mix into your dishwasher soap dispenser just as you normally would when adding dishwasher detergent. (I meant to take a picture of this, but was a bit impatient...)

The best part is that if you make laundry detergent, you already have this stuff on hand!  (I guess that technically makes it FREE!)

Woot Woot!!

Thanks, Tiffany :)

She also told me about our little friend Vinny (yes, I use so much vinegar around the house, I've decided to name it, lol! I need a life!) and how he can help, too!

Use straight white vinegar as your rinse aid in your dishwasher! It does a sparkling job on your dishes!  I always have at least two gallons of this on hand...one in my laundry room and one under my sink and it has proven time and time again to be the best go-to for anything household!

Lastly, since I have started making my own cleansers, detergents, etc., I have found the following items to be most beneficial to keep on hand:
-Washing Soda
-Baking Soda
-Vinegar
-Borax
-Salt
-Lemons

With these CHEAP and eco-friendly items, you can clean ANYTHING! 

Happy cleaning, friends!
(PS-For those that know me well, I've come a long way to say such a statement!!! HAHA!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment