Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chewy Gooey Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have been revising this recipe for the past several months and I think I finally nailed it!  These are sooooo yummy and pretty healthy. The original version wasn't so much! I think my favorite part is that these are LOADED with oats. I don't like oatmeal cookies with a few oats...defeats the purpose!


Ingredients:
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter-softened
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (I like kosher or sea salt for everything.)
1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1 Lindt or Ghiradelli 60%-70% cocoa bar (between 4 and 5.3 oz) (My fav. for this is Lindt 70%.) Cut into small chunks

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix butter, applesauce, white sugar, and brown sugar in mixer. When combined, add egg, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the flour. When everything is mixed, add the oats and when combined, the chocolate.

Scoop dough onto a cookie sheet. I use an ice cream scoop. Here's where you can be discretionary. I love flat cookies, so I spread out the dough with my fingers to flatten a little. You don't have to do this.

Bake for 10 minutes. No more. :)

Oh, and 3 WW points!

VARIATION for Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Cookies:
Add 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1 cup (or more) raisins instead of chocolate! YUMMO!!!!!!!!!


And...in case you were wondering...They are KID APPROVED!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment