Monday, December 20, 2010

Mason Jar obsession...

It's true...I love Mason jars! haha!!! Lately, I have been wanting to switch all of our storage containers to glass. I thought I'd start with the pantry. We had a bunch of leftover jars from a canning attempt a few years ago. (I made white chicken chili...my husband's fav, to can and freeze, but he ate all of it before I could get everything done, lol!) Soooo, I decided to go through my pantry and reorganize it and use the extra jars.  Here's the before pic with all of my items lining the counters...



Keep in mind, I am only tackling part of my pantry with this project. I will need to rearrange shelf heights, etc. for the cans, and everything else, but Manwich (my 14 month old) wasn't having it today!

After putting items in jars, here's what we have...


This makes me so happy!! Left column...brown sugar, powdered sugar, and homemade vanilla  extract (more on that in a minute), Second column: old-fashioned oatmeal, vanilla sugar (more on that in a minute), and cloves from an Amish market, Third column: walnuts, dry roasted peanuts, and nutmeg from an Amish market, Last column: raisins and shredded unsweetened coconut...


Now, I have a plan for this...
I love these canisters from Crate and Barrel! I'm thinking the 2-gallon size for flour and sugar and 1-gallon size for pasta.

After that, these are next on the "glass project list"...storage containers and spice cabinet:

This drawer drives me crazy! My plan is to get glass containers (we already have a few) and put them in an upper cabinet. I'm thinking of switching the spices to a drawer (not this one, but the smaller one above it) and putting the storage containers in the current spice cabinet below.

This also frustrates me!! I have a hard time reaching most of it, besides the bottom shelf, but things fall all over the place. I'm brainstorming and trying to figure out the most frugal options...I'll keep you posted!

Wow! Didn't know you were getting all of that about my cabinets, did you, lol!!!!

Now, for my favs...the homemade vanilla extract and vanilla sugar, check our my next post! They are so great, they deserve their own post!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment